Sunday, April 5, 2009

One semester down the line, the spilt milk

It has been one semester over already.
I had four subjects for this:
Advanced Operating System, Data mining, Object Oriented Analysis and Design and Network programming.I was pretty familiar with OOAD and NP. And according to the expectation these papers were pretty good.

AOS was full of algorithms. Very interesting and relevant topic. Would like to study for more than 1 semester definitely :) But I think I will easily clear it.
These three subjects were pretty good and except AOS I did not even break sweat for them.

But Data Mining was a different ballgame altogether. It had its share of algos. But the problem was that algos came only after bucketful and bucketful of theory. And it will be a very miraculous escape if I ever clear it.

That brings me to the main point I want to make here. Being a DLP program, the time we can devote to this programme itself will be limited. Add to that the extra term fee we have to pay when we drop even one subject, it is a very unpleasant proposition to let a subject go just because you do not like it.

I am hoping against hope that this will not be the case and somehow I will clear data mining. But this lesson will be with me.

I am very bullish about my chances for this complete program though. This has got me back to the theories of computing. Exactly the thing I require at this stage of my career and my choice. I want to do the tech thing as long as possible before finally being pushed into management. This course is a definite shot in the arm for that. Of course I have to be strong enough to overcome one or two hiccups along the way.

So I stay highly motivated the first sem was very good, could have been tremendously exceptional had I taken care of data mining, but I will take it 100 times out of 100.

P.S. Coming soon in future, scanned copies of the Q papers, answer papers of the mid term (when I receive them from BITS) and much much more. Watch this space :)

No comments:

Post a Comment